PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS OF GROWING PULLETS FED CASSAVA ROOT-BASED DIETS

  • A. S. OYEGUNWA
  • A. A. MAKO
  • R. O. ETTU
Keywords: Pullets, Cassava meal, Peeled, Unpeeled, Hen day production

Abstract

A 13-week study was carried out to investigate the potentials of peeled and unpeeled cassava roots as a substitute for maize in layers ration. Unpeeled cassava root meal was used at 3 levels of inclusion (25%, 50% and 100%) while the peeled cassava meal was used only at 25% level of inclusion in the diet. A total of 140 black harco pullets were randomly allotted to 5 experimental diets in line with cassava root meal inclusion as diet 1 (control diet without cassava root), diet 2 (25% unpeeled cassava root meal), diet 3 (50% unpeeled cassava root meal), diet 4 (100% unpeeled cassava root meal) and diet 5 (25% peeled cassava root meal). The study lasted for 13 weeks. No significant difference (p<0.05) were observed in the values obtained across the treatment groups for feed intake. Birds that were fed with 100% unpeeled cassava meal (diet 4) had significantly lowered body weight gain when compared with birds that were fed with diets 1, 2, 3 and 5 which had similar values. No significant difference was observed in the feed conversion ratio of birds fed with diets 1,2,3 and 5 but these values were significantly lower that the value for diet 4. Other performance indices like age at first egg and hen day production at 24 weeks were not affected by cassava root meal inclusion in the diets. The cost of producing feed using cassava root meal was however cheaper than maize based diet.

References

Anaeto, M. and L. C. Adighibe, 2011. Cassava root meal as substitute for maize in layers ration. Brazilian journal of poultry science. 13:153-156.

Fafiolu, A.O., Oduguwa, O.O., Ikeobi C.O.N., Onwuka C.F.I. and Adebule M.A. 2004. Performance and egg quality assessment of laying hens fed malted sorghum sprouts based diets. Proceedings of the 9th Annual Conference of Animal Science Association of Nigeria Abakaliki, Nigeria, Ebonyi State University, P 33 35.

Fetuga B. L. A. and O. O. Tewe 1985. Potentials of agro industrial by-products and crop residues as animal feed. Nigeria Food Journal. 2(2) 136-141.

Ijaiya A.T., Fasanya O.A., and A.B. Ayanwale, 2002. Reproductive performance of breeding does fed maize and fermented cassava peel meal. Proc. 27th Ann. Conf., Nig. Soc. For Anim. Prod. (NSAP), March 17 21, 2002, Fed. Univ. Tech., Akure, Nigeria, pp:249-252.

Kana, J.R, Kreman, Mube K.H., Teguia, A and Manjeli, Y. 2013. Effect of substituting maize with cassava root meal on laying performances of local barred chicken under improved management conditions in Cameroon. Journal of Livestock Research for Rural Development 25(10) 2013

Khajarern S. and Khajarern J. M. 1977. Use of cassava as food supplement for broiler chicks in proc. Fourth Symp. Inter. Soc. Trop. Roots Crops, cock J. Machtyre R and Graham M. Eds, CIAT Colombia, IDRC-080e1977, 246

NRC 1994 Nutritional Research Council. Nutritional requirements of poultry. 9th Rev. Edition. National Academic Press Washington DC USA.

Nwokoro S.O. and Tewe O.O. 1995. Lysine requirement of growing cockerel. Indian Journal of Poultry Science, 30:41 45.

Oluyemi J. A. and F. A. Roberts, 1979. Poultry Production in warm wet Climates. Macmillan Publishers London and Basingstoke.

Oruwari B.M., Anibo, A.O. and Nkanta D.M. 2003. Effect of replacing maize with cassava/brewers dried yeast blend cassava yeast on performance of broiler chicks and feed cost in Southern Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production, 30(2):168 178.

Salami R. I and Odunsi A. A. 2003. Effect of Processed Cassava Peel Meals As Substitutes For Maize In The Diets Of Layers. International Journal of Poultry Science, 2:112 116.

Smith O. B. 1988. A review of Ruminant responses to cassava based diets. Pp 35-53 in proceedings of the IITA/ILCA/University of Ibadan workshop on the potential utilization of cassava as livestock in Africa 1992. IITA Ibadan Nov. 14-18, 1988.

Tewe O. O. 1994. Indices of cassava safety for livestock feeding. Acta Horticultural International workshop on cassava safety. (M. Bokanga, A.J.A. Essers, N. Poulter, H. Rostling, O. Tewe eds).

Ukachukwu S.N. 2015. Studies on the nutritive value of composite cassava pellets for poultry:chemical composition and metabolizable energy. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 17, Article 125. Retrieved March 1 2012 from http://www.Irrd.org/Irrd 17/11/ukac17125.htm.

Tabayonyon T. T. 1935. The value of cassava refuse meal in the rations for growing chicks, Phill pp Agric 24, 509, 1935

Yin Y. K. Hidemi T., Win M. H., Sarayut T., Yoshimi I. and Yasuhiro K. 2014 Effects of cassava substitute for maize based
Published
2017-11-22
Section
Articles